Does SLAM Respect SP Security?

Jun 21, 2011 at 8:49 PM

I am very new to SLAM.  One thing I have not been able to find out so far:  if I have a list with security applied at the site, list, folder or item level, can the information about who has access to every item be included in the information that gets slammed to the database?

Also, can you SLAM a document library in addition to a list?

Developer
Jun 21, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Permissions relevant to an item cannot be slammed as they do not really "belong" to a list item.  As for document libraries, because they are still lists of course you can slam them.

Jun 22, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I guess that makes sense regarding permissions.  It is likely difficult if not impossible to detect if there are changes to who can access a list item, such as if you change the members of a SP group or you change an AD Group that is referenced.

However, that means either (a) you should only use SLAM for lists that are fully public, (b) if you don't, you will be violating permission expectations by making the data widely available, or (c) you need to make sure the audience for the SLAMMED data is as restricted as for your list.  The more you take data out of SP, the more safeguards you lose.