Upgrade SLAM on WSS3 to 2010

May 2, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I have had SLAM working on WSS3 for a few months and have upgraded to Sharepoint 2010 Foundation edition.  The upgrade process has completed and I am looking to upgrade the SLAM installation.  I am entering the Update-SPSolution command into the shell prompt but I get the folllowing error:

The solution cannot be deployed. Directory "SLAM" associated with feature 'GUID' in the solution is used by feature 'GUID' installed in the farm. All features must have unique directories in order to avoid overwritting files.

I can see that SLAM is deployed in Central Admin, should I remove this install and then run the shell command as a new install?  I presume this will remove my SLAM settings though.

Please advise...

Developer
May 2, 2012 at 9:15 PM

SLAM for 2010 is a different solution and feature.  If you did an in-place upgrade you should remove the old solution and add the new one.  It is important to also note that SLAM for 2010 produce a slightly different database schema (for instance every item is associated with an item in the SLAM.List table, which is associated with Site and SiteCollection).  Right now there is not an in-place upgrade process for SLAM as the general expectation has been that users of SLAM 2010 are not trying to keep a database as produced by the 2007 version.  A config from the previous version should continue to work though.  I would suggest when once you change solutions that you setup a new database, activate, and synchronize.