This project is read-only.

New to SLAM?

Coordinator
Feb 6, 2009 at 4:41 PM
If you're new to SLAM, we suggest you start by looking at our Illustrated Guide to SLAM.

If you aren't able to get up and running using the info there, please let us know, either here in the discussion board or by sending us a note.

Happy SLAMing!
Feb 24, 2009 at 4:52 PM
Do the SQL tables remain synchronized with the registered lists as the list data changes, or is the process a one-time dump every time you need to run a report? If not,do you think it would be feasible to extend the solution to attach Create/Update/Delete event receivers to the registered lists to keep the SQL tables synchronized?
Developer
Feb 24, 2009 at 4:57 PM
Edited Feb 24, 2009 at 4:58 PM
Continually updates.  Once activated, SLAM attaches event receivers to ItemAdded, ItemUpdated and ItemDeleting (that is the essential functionality of SLAM).  So it creates the database so it can guarantee it has tables to put data into on activation then as you manipulate data in SharePoint it is kept in synch with the database.  Later today I will be posting another release (1.1.5) that will include functionality on the SLAM control panel that allows you to initiate a full data synchronization process, putting all existing data in configured Lists into SLAM's database.  The full synch is on-demand of course but the event receivers then handle the difference.
Feb 24, 2009 at 4:58 PM
That is wonderful - and thanks for the ultra-prompt reply.
Developer
Feb 25, 2009 at 9:36 PM
As an update, despite my declaration that 1.1.5 would be released yesterday, I did in fact release it today.  Synchronization is included in that release.  The SLAM Control Panel now has a group of activation tasks and one of them is synchronization.
Feb 26, 2009 at 8:52 PM
Hello.  I'm fairly new to SharePoint, but trying to get as much use out of it as possible.  I read the entire Illustrated Guide to SLAM and was curious how I'd go about setting up a SQL database for it.  Is that required or will SLAM auto-create one for me?  If not, is there any specific version of SQL I should use?
Developer
Feb 26, 2009 at 9:17 PM
Edited Feb 26, 2009 at 9:18 PM
As the Illustrated Guide says you do need to create a blank database first for SLAM and your default connection string in SLAM's configuration needs to use a user that has permissions at least to create tables and schemas.  Usually it is a good idea to create a SQL login and user with db_owner and db_securityadmin roles, but you can also use Integrated Security or assign specific permissions.  SLAM cannot presume however that is has permissions to automatically create a database so it does not.  As for versions of SQL Server, basically 7.0 and up, though I haven't tested it with 7, 2000 and up will work, but it does not require anything particular to later versions precluding the usage of older versions.  Still I would recommend 2005 or 2008.