unknown error when activating

May 5, 2009 at 7:36 PM
Hi. I just installed v1.2 on a WSS site collection, and setup my slam.config file with no problems. The configuration validated fine, but when I go to "Activation" and click the "Activate" link, the generic WSS "unknown error" message is displayed.

I thought I would try deactivating and reactivating the Feature, but I received "unknown error" when deactivating (the site collection feature) as well. So I uninstalled and reinstalled the solution, restarted the app pool, but I'm still getting "unknown error" when I click the "Activate" link.

Any ideas?
Developer
May 5, 2009 at 9:58 PM
Try changing the SafeMode > CallStack attribute to false in your web.config and see if you get a more helpful message.  I am not sure what the likely problem would be.

-Brian
May 6, 2009 at 11:58 AM
Done, and the error reported is: 

Line 5: Incorrect syntax near 'max'. at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.SqlProvider.Execute(Expression query, QueryInfo queryInfo, IObjectReaderFactory factory, Object[] parentArgs, Object[] userArgs, ICompiledSubQuery[] subQueries, Object lastResult)at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.SqlProvider.ExecuteAll(Expression query, QueryInfo[] queryInfos, IObjectReaderFactory factory, Object[] userArguments, ICompiledSubQuery[] subQueries)at System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.SqlProvider.System.Data.Linq.Provider.IProvider.Execute(Expression query)at System.Data.Linq.DataContext.ExecuteMethodCall(Object instance, MethodInfo methodInfo, Object[] parameters)at System.Data.Linq.DataContext.ExecuteCommand(String command, Object[] parameters)at AWS.SLAM.Logging.SqlLogger..ctor(IConfigurationManager configuration)at AWSSLAMLoggingSqlLoggerInstanceBuilder8a06652a2341414784628aef31dcccd6.BuildInstance(IConfiguredInstance , BuildSession )at StructureMap.Pipeline.ConfiguredInstanceBase`1.StructureMap.Pipeline.IConfiguredInstance.Build(Type pluginType, BuildSession session, InstanceBuilder builder)

My slam.config looks like this...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<Configuration>
  <ConnectionStrings Default="SLAM">
    <add Name="SLAM" ConnectionString="[My ConnectionString]" />
  </ConnectionStrings>

<DataMapping DataSchema="SLAM">
    <List Site="IT" Name="IT Employee Calendar" ActivationOrder="1">
      <Fields>
        <Field Name="Title" SqlType="varchar(255)" SPType="Text" Required="true"></Field>
      </Fields>
    </List>
  </DataMapping>

</Configuration>
Developer
May 6, 2009 at 3:31 PM
I know exactly what the problem is.  What version of SQL Server are you using?  The error occurs when the Message Table is being created and one of its columns is for the Message which has a data type of varchar(max).  I realize the (max) value was introduced with SQL Server 2005.  Other than your server not being able to understand the type varchar(max) I have no idea why you would get that error since that is the only place the word "max" appears at that point.

-Brian
May 7, 2009 at 1:25 PM
You were correct, of course! I was trying things out using an old SQL Server 2000 server. When I switched to SQL 2005 everything worked perfectly.

Many thanks! This is an awesome tool, by the way.