This project is read-only.

unable to create hierarchical list

May 11, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Thanks for bringing SLAM to us. I'm not able to create hierarchical lists. After I enter the list name and click in "OK" it stays "thinking" for a while and then prompts me for credentials.

After I enter credentials, the same thing happens over and over again....

Nothing is shown in event viewer and in slam's control panel.

It seems like a permissions problem, although I'm able to create other sharepoint lists with no problem.

The user that i'm using it's a site administrator with full control.

That's the same user that I configured in SLAM's DB to have dbowner and dbsecurityadmin roles and I have configured three lists to be linked and I have already these associations done in two SQL tables.

I'm using Win2003 x86 OS.

Do you have any tip for solving this issue? Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards

Arsenio

Developer
May 11, 2009 at 1:02 AM

Hi Arsenio,

Did you install both solutions, the SLAM solution and the Hierachy solution?

Can you confirm if you are able to slam other lists?

Finally, please send us your SLAM config so we can take a look.

Yours,

Allan

May 11, 2009 at 9:22 AM
Hi! Thanks for your answer!

Yes, I installed both solutions and both features are activated in the site collection.

I'm able to slam 3 list with no problem.

I didn't any configuration in slam.config related to hierarchical lists because I'm not able to create them.

I suppose that configuration is only needed after creating the hierarchical lists.

I guess the problem that I have is in some way relationed with this issue reported in this post: http://www.crsw.com/mark/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=44

I've already did the configuration stated in the above post but I still have the problem.

Do you think that retracting the solutions and deploying them again can solve the problem?

Thanks a lot!

Arsenio

Sent: Mon 11/05/2009 01:02
To: Arsénio, Nuno Miguel D
Subject: Re: unable to create hierarchical list [SLAM:55866]

Hi Arsenio,

Did you install both solutions, the SLAM solution and the Hierachy solution?

Can you confirm if you are able to slam other lists?

Finally, please send us your SLAM config so we can take a look.

Yours,

Allan

Read the full discussion online <http://slam.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=55866&ANCHOR#Post188674> .

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email ([email removed] <mailto:[email removed]?subject=[SLAM:55866]> )

To start a new discussion for this project, email [email removed]

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe <http://www.codeplex.com/site/discussions/thread/unsubscribe/55866> on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com
Developer
May 11, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Hi Arenio,

The link you included is not related as Hierarchy doesn't use a webservice.  Instead the issue is most likely that you haven't configured the SLAM profile.  This must be done BEFORE you can use the list as the hierarchy field type expects the list to be configured as hierarchical.  See the Hierarchy Install Guide and follow the steps carefully.  In particular, see "Add the TypeProfiles configuration to slam.config" and "Add the List configuration to slam.config".

Yours,

Allan

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:30 PM
Edited Jan 6, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Hello all !

Did you find a solution to this issue ? I have the same. I have installed and implemented sucessfully SLAM for the Clients/Projects/Tasks example but I am not able to create any hierarchical list. When I do this, the system is prompting me the credentials..at the end the Web Server is done and I have to restart IIS.

I removed the solution and re installed it again : same problem

In my SLAM config, it is exactly the same as the one used for the Clients/Projects/Tasks plus 2 things:

1. I do not use user/password in the connection string but "integrated security=SSPI", because my user was not able to connect (I am not a developer and I do not know how to solve this)

2. I put the TypeProfiles part but not the Datamapping part as my hierarcichal list is not created yet (I cannot)

Thanks in advance for youy feedback

Regards and happy new year !

Developer
Jan 6, 2010 at 3:16 PM

pbachet:

To 1, if you use SSPI the SLAM will connect to the database with the current logged in user, in which case you might have a connection problem.  The demo connection string is really just an example and while it is a working example, the database it has the appropriate permissions set for domain admins (and the demo was set up only by developor domain admins).  When setting up SLAM it is rather assumed that whoever does it has the ability to create a new database for it and presumably has the permission to set up SQL credentials for it with the appropriate roles on that database (to create tables an schemas).  It is obviously easy to just use SSPI, but be aware that every person that logs into SharePoint needs access to the database (which I expect is not the case that all domain Users have select/insert/update on your database...).  So I recommend you use SQL credentials.

Now about the permission issue, there are 2 ways to make a list hierarchical: use the template, or add the SLAM Hierarchy Position Field CFT to an existing List (then replace the default List View web part with the SLAM Hierarchy List View webpart).  Can you add the CFT to the list you want to make hierarchical?  There are only a couple of files involved using the template, which are the feature files, then the CFT xml in TEMPLATE\XML and ascx files in CONTROLTEMPLATES.  So if adding the CFT on it's own doesn't work then you can be confident there is a permission issue with those related files instead of the feature files, in which case you can still make lists hierarchical.

-Brian

Jan 7, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Hello Brian !

Many thanks for your very good and quick feedback !

To 1, I fully understand and I will follow your advice once I will succeed with the hierarchical list feature.

To 2, I have added the SLAM field to a custom list. But I have 2 issues:

1. When I enter a new item, I can only see a parent field - always set to "root" unfortunately, and I do not have the horizontal position field (I can see another people having the same issue in this forum)

2. When I add the SLAM Web Part I got a crash on my site:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]

AWS.SLAM.Hierarchy.HierarchyListView.CreateChildControls() +532

System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +87

System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +44

System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts.WebPart.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +42

System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +171

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +842

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4200; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4016

For your information, here is my slam.config file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Configuration>
  <ConnectionStrings Default="SLAM">
    <add Name="SLAM" ConnectionString="Database=SLAM;Data Source=MYSERVER\OFFICESERVERS;integrated security=SSPI" />
  </ConnectionStrings>

<TypeProfiles>
 <add Name="HierarchicalList" AssemblyQualifiedTypeName="AWS.SLAM.Hierarchy.HierarchicalListTypeProfile,AWS.SLAM.Hierarchy,Version=1.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=896136499185ddc1" />
 <add Name="HierarchicalContent" AssemblyQualifiedTypeName="AWS.SLAM.Hierarchy.HierarchicalContentTypeTypeProfile,AWS.SLAM.Hierarchy,Version=1.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=896136499185ddc1" />
  </TypeProfiles>

<DataMapping DataSchema="SLAM">
    <List Site="slam" Name="Clients" ActivationOrder="1">
         <Fields>
           <Field Name="Client Name" SqlType="varchar(255)" SPType="Text" Required="true"></Field>
         </Fields>
    </List>
    <List Site="slam" Name="Projects" ActivationOrder="2">
         <Fields>
             <Field Name="Project Name" SqlType="varchar(255)" SPType="Text" Required="true"></Field>
             <Field Name="Client" SPType="Lookup" AssociatedList="Clients" AssociationName="ProjectsToClients"></Field>
         </Fields>
    </List>
    <List Site="slam" Name="Tasks" ActivationOrder="3">
        <Fields>
             <Field Name="Task Name" SqlType="varchar(255)" SPType="Text" Required="true"></Field>
             <Field Name="Project" SPType="Lookup" AssociatedList="Projects" AssociationName="TasksToProjects"></Field>
             <Field Name="Estimated Time" SqlType="decimal (18,0)" SPType ="number" Required="false"></Field>
             <Field Name="Notes" SqlType="varchar(255)" SPType="Text" Required="false"></Field>   
        </Fields>
    </List>
    <List Site="slam" Name="Tags" TypeProfile="HierarchicalList" ActivationOrder="4">
        <Fields>
             <Field Name="Title" SqlType="varchar(255)" SPType="Text" Required="true"></Field>
        </Fields>
    </List>
  </DataMapping>
</Configuration>

Thanks in advance if you can help

Regards

Patrick