installed ok. how do I create my list?

May 20, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Hi,

Apologies if this is a stupid question. I have installed my SLAM and activated ok (followed the instructions on the wiki) and it has created a few tables in the database ok too. My question is, how do I go about telling it which lists I want to join and on what column they should do the join on. Also which columns will actually appear on the view?

Developer
May 20, 2009 at 5:29 PM

As shown in the dummy config that is dropped in your virtual directory/resources directory, you create an association against a lookup column.  In the slam.config, for the lookup field, you have something like:

<Field Name="OtherListLookup" SPType="Lookup" AssociatedList="OtherList" AssociationName="ListToOtherList"></Field>

Where OtherSiteLookup is the name of the field, AssociatList is the name of the List that the lookup field refers to and AssociationName is the name of the association/table that SLAM will create that connects this List's items with the OtherList's items.  The connector table will have two columns, one with ListItemIDs from the List containing the lookup field and the second with ListItemIDs from the OtherList.

I am not sure I understand your question about columns appearing "on the view".  Which view?

-Brian

May 21, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Hi Brian, thanks for your reply. For example, I have a sub-site in sharepoint called Marketing at the url http://cigpllsps1/CIG%20Department%20Sites/Marketing/ and I have two lists in this site. How do I go about joining these lists? As in, what is the first step? Is this the idea behind SLAM or do I have to copy my tables into the slam database? The installation page was very easy to follow. Is there a similar page to show how to join lists?

Thanks,

Chris