Slam Synchronization

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:43 AM

HI,

I have some data loaded from an external data source in the SLAM tables.

When i do the the synchronize, my data in the tables (that does not exist in the sharepoint lists) is deleted.

Is there any way to accomplish a bidirectional syncronization?

Best regards,

Vítor Oliveira

Developer
Jun 2, 2009 at 11:21 AM

You mean you want the data that you're inserting directly into SQL to get added to the SharePoint lists?   Or are you suggesting this so that the resynchronization doesn't delete your non-sharepoint data?  If the latter, why don't you write to other tables, not the slam tables, and create a relationship to the slam tables?

Yours,

Allan

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:26 PM

You mean you want the data that you're inserting directly into SQL to get added to the SharePoint lists?

Yes, this is it. I want to fill SLAM tables with data, and then syncronize the Sharepoint Lists.

Best regards,

Vítor Oliveira

Developer
Jun 2, 2009 at 7:41 PM
Edited Jun 2, 2009 at 7:46 PM

The SLAM synchronization is not meant to work this way.  It's intended as a one-time set up activity in the case where you already have data in SharePoint that you want to push out to SQL.  Understand that, once SLAM is configured, the data in the SLAM tables is continuously updated as the list data changes.

If you want data in SharePoint to updated when data is SQL is updated, you’ll need to create a trigger in SQL that calls a webservice in SharePoint or else create some batch process.  But SLAM is not the answer for you since SLAM is about keeping SQL in synch with changes in SharePoint, not the other way around.

May I ask you why you need to update SharePoint lists based on data in SQL?  Couldn’t you leave that data in SQL and then build a webpart or dataview in SharePoint to display it?

Allan