Trouble with connection string

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:55 AM
Edited Jun 17, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Hi folks,

i'm really annoyed because i'm not able to get my connection string right.

I have WSS 3.0 Running with default installation (no SQL Server 2005)

The Computername of the Machine is WSSServ, the Administrator name is administrator, the password is pwd.

I Have set up my slam.config with the following connection string and i always get the error massage "error while connection with sql server. server could not been found ...."

i hvae tried serveral variations of the server name (just the dns name etc..)

I have installed SQL Server Management Studio Express. When i try to mark the checkbox "allow remote connections to this server" it says "the specified option 'remote access' is not supported by this edition of sql server ab cannot be changed using sp_configure" ...

could this be the problem ?

heres my connection string:

<ConnectionStrings Default="SLAM">

<add Name="SLAM" ConnectionString="Database=SLAMTest;Data Source=WSSServ\MICROSOFT##SSEE;User Id=WSSServ\administrator;Password=pwd" />

<ConnectionStrings>

Developer
Jun 17, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Hi Wattson,

Sorry you're so annoyed.  SLAM isn't doing anything special with the connection string you supply other than trying to open a connection to the database with it.  I'm not sure what database you're using - you say "no SQL Server 2005", are you using SQL Server Express?  In any case, this is a helpful resource for figuring out connection strings:

http://www.connectionstrings.com

Hope that helps!

Yours,

Allan

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:43 AM

HI,

i think it is a problem is the WSS default database (SSEE). I set up a search server express 2008 and all went fine.this version uses SQL server 2005 express which allows remote connections.

in my production environment (WSS 3.0) i changed the Data Source portion of the connection string to

Data Source=\\.\pipe\mssql$microsoft##ssee\sql\query; integrated security=SSPI

Now i no longer get an error message when i validate my configuration, but when i try to activate SLAM i get an unknown error.

--> perhaps of the not allowed remote connection ?

In my Test Environment (Search Server Express 2008) the connection string is:

Data Source=servername\officeservers .....

here i do not get an error message and SLAM is able to fill the database.

so you have any suggestions how i can get it work with my wss installation without updrading to search server ?

greets

Marco

Developer
Jun 19, 2009 at 5:37 PM

First I would suggest that you set CallStack="true" in your web.config on your production environment and do activate again to see what the error is (in the event you are just getting the generic SharePoint error page saying "Unknown error").  That or check the Windows Event Log and see if the actual error is logged there.  If it is a database error, as it seems to be, do you have another SQL server instance at all other than the default microsoft##ssee database?

-Brian

Jun 22, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Hi Brian,

thanks for your reply.

I set my callstack to true and now i get this error message:

DDL statement is not allowed.   bei System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   bei System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   bei System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   bei System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   bei System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)
   bei System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
   bei System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
   bei System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.SqlProvider.Execute(Expression query, QueryInfo queryInfo, IObjectReaderFactory factory, Object[] parentArgs, Object[] userArgs, ICompiledSubQuery[] subQueries, Object lastResult)
   bei System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.SqlProvider.ExecuteAll(Expression query, QueryInfo[] queryInfos, IObjectReaderFactory factory, Object[] userArguments, ICompiledSubQuery[] subQueries)
   bei System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.SqlProvider.System.Data.Linq.Provider.IProvider.Execute(Expression query)
   bei System.Data.Linq.DataContext.ExecuteMethodCall(Object instance, MethodInfo methodInfo, Object[] parameters)
   bei System.Data.Linq.DataContext.ExecuteCommand(String command, Object[] parameters)
   bei AWS.SLAM.Data.SqlLogDataRepository.CreateMessageTable(String tableSchema)
   bei AWS.SLAM.Logging.SqlLogger..ctor(IConfigurationManager configuration)
   bei AWSSLAMLoggingSqlLoggerInstanceBuilder7de149cc859b41d19f840d866867f42b.BuildInstance(IConfiguredInstance , BuildSession )
   bei StructureMap.Pipeline.ConfiguredInstanceBase`1.StructureMap.Pipeline.IConfiguredInstance.Build(Type pluginType, BuildSession session, InstanceBuilder builder)

hmmm i'm sure that i do not have another sql instance running. my management studio only shows me the microsoft##ssee database.

Do you have any hints for me what this error message means?

Greets

Marco

Developer
Jun 22, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Marco,

Judging from this discussion: http://www.sqlnewsgroups.net/group/microsoft.public.sqlserver.server/topic18262.aspx that there are some restrictions to using the Microsoft##ssee database, namely that CREATE TABLE statements (which SLAM executes on activate when it builds the database from its configuration) seem to throw this error.  As is suggested in that discussion, can you connect to that server instance and try to create tables in the database you want SLAM to use just using SQL Management Studio?

-Brian

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Hi Brian,

i followed your suggestion and tried to create a table via management studio.

The message i get is "DDL Statement is not allowed".

I think the Database is in a kind of exclusive use for sharepoint or somethink like that (as you see i'm not a database pro ;)

do you think there is a chance to get your nice feature running under wss 3.0 ?

Marco

Developer
Jun 23, 2009 at 4:38 PM

It was developed primarily for WSS 3.0.  So it definitely works, but it is assumed you will set up a separate database from the SharePoint content database for the SLAM content.

-Brian