hierarchical lookup

Jul 7, 2009 at 2:56 PM

I tried to have place a lookup field in a list to reference a hierarchical list. The problem I had is that when selecting the element there was no hierarchicy seen. Is this just a limitation or did I do something beyond the limits?

My specific though process is that I want to build an equipment list. We have a number of different types of cameras. So I setup a category list which is a hierarchical list. Then I created an equipment list with a lookup field to the category list.

Developer
Jul 7, 2009 at 3:20 PM

So you have SLAM and hierarchy set up correctly on your category list, right?  And then you want to use a lookup on an equipment list to select a category, correct?  That so far is very doable.  If I'm understanding your question correctly, you were expecting the lookup you placed on your equipment list to somehow represent the categories hierarchically?  Remember the lookup field is just the default SharePoint lookup which, of course, has no knowledge that your categories list is hierarchical.  If you wanted that control to present the choices as hierarchical, you would need to build a custom field type that displayed the choices in the way that made the most sense.  This isn't included in the SLAM project since, depending on the "shape" of your hierarchy (whether there are 10 choices, 1000 choices, 2 levels, 15 levels, etc.) the control would want to behave very differently.

Did I answer your question?

Jul 8, 2009 at 12:22 AM

Yes, thank you.