This project is read-only.

Activation Unknown Error

Jul 21, 2009 at 6:23 AM

Please help, I started from scratch, resinstalling the Server 2003 SP2 OS, updating .Net to 3.5, and installing WSS 3.0. I also reinstalled SQL Server 2005 on the backend server. I created a blank basic site collection and created two lists, one a Sites List and the other a Projects List that looks up the Title from the Site Lists. I then did the following:

1) Installed SLAM on the Web Server Site Collection

2) Executed the RegisterEverntSource.reg

3) Created a SLAM database on the SQL Server along with a slam_admin account with dbcreate and dbsecurity roles on the SLAM database

4)  Started the SLAM Feature on the site collection

5) Added the modified slam.config file to the Inetpub virtual directory

6) Verified all types and fields were Matched in the Control Panel | Manage Configuration view

7) When I select the Activate, it always errors out with an "Unknown Error" message

Am I missing anything???

No errors are entered in the application error logs and the SLAM diagnostics always show that it successfully attaches the event handlers but crashes when it starts to process the first list. I don't know if it's not able to read the data or write the data. No tables, not even blank ones are created. It obviously has sufficient rights to the database because it is able to create and update the diagnostics tables.

I'm at a loss, I've given the SLAM account God writes on all the servers and databases, reimaged all of the servers and reinstalled all the software, and created the most basic of SharePoint sites and lists.

Jul 21, 2009 at 12:55 PM

What is Step #2 ? I never did that in my install.

As far as "unknown error", have you tried <customErrors mode="Off" /> in web.config to get a little more detail about your issue?

Jul 21, 2009 at 8:21 PM

#2 was per the setup instructions, Run RegisterEventSource.reg to register EventLog Source "SLAM"

I finally figured it out.  Man, I feel like an idiot. 

The list names had spaces in them. I realized that although the SLAM Configuration validation seemed to be reading the data correctly, the 12/Logs error log reflected a null data set and therefore it crashed when it tried to create the table structure.

Jul 21, 2009 at 8:43 PM

I just realized there was a reason I ruled the List naming convention out as an issue early on. It seems that the List Name in the SLAM config file is tied to the presentation name of the list not the url name of the list, i.e. if I create a list name SitesList with no space and then change it later to have a space, the url doesn't have a space but the links presented on the navigation bar show the name with a space. Now I've got to figure out a way to reference a list name with spaces in it within the SLAM config file.

Developer
Jul 21, 2009 at 9:09 PM

The List name can definitely have spaces in it.  The Name used for a List should match the original name of the list.  What you would actually use if you were getting a reference to the list in the object model like web.Lists["My List"].  So the URL would like /Lists/My List/AllItems.aspx.  If you rename it in the interface to "My List List" then of course it doesn't change the URL, so your slam config will be okay still having Name="My List".

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:06 PM

I'm having the same issue.  Validation works just fine.  However, when I click on Activate, Sharepoint returns "Unknown Error".  Uninstall/reinstall didn't work.  Using SQL 2008.  Does anyone have a solution?

Developer
Jan 19, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Have you tried setting the customErrors mode to "Off" and setting the SafeControls property CallStack to "true"?  With both of those set you should see the actual exception.

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Thanks.  This allowed me to see the problem.  There was a long list of fields, one of which was listed twice.  The validation did not catch this, but the activation complained about it.

Jan 20, 2010 at 12:30 AM
Edited Jan 21, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I all, someone know this error?

My sharepoint (WSS 3.0) is on windows 2003 SBS with sql2005 embedded installed.

Line 5: incorrect syntax near 'max'.   in System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   in System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   in System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   in System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   in System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)
   in System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
   in System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
   in System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.SqlProvider.Execute(Expression query, QueryInfo queryInfo, IObjectReaderFactory factory, Object[] parentArgs, Object[] userArgs, ICompiledSubQuery[] subQueries, Object lastResult)
   in System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.SqlProvider.ExecuteAll(Expression query, QueryInfo[] queryInfos, IObjectReaderFactory factory, Object[] userArguments, ICompiledSubQuery[] subQueries)
   in System.Data.Linq.SqlClient.SqlProvider.System.Data.Linq.Provider.IProvider.Execute(Expression query)
   in System.Data.Linq.DataContext.ExecuteMethodCall(Object instance, MethodInfo methodInfo, Object[] parameters)
   in System.Data.Linq.DataContext.ExecuteCommand(String command, Object[] parameters)
   in AWS.SLAM.Logging.SqlLogger.LogMessage(String messageType, String message)
   in AWS.SLAM.Activation.Activator.Deactivate()
   in AWS.SLAM.Administration.Activation.btnAttachEvents_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   in System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   in System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
   in System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
   in System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument)
   in System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData)
   in System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

My slam.config is like this..

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<Configuration>
  <ConnectionStrings Default="SLAM">
    <add Name="SLAM" ConnectionString="Database=SLAM;Data Source=TECHNOSRV1;User Id=Slam;Password=Slam" />
  </ConnectionStrings>

<DataMapping DataSchema="SLAM">
    <List Site="Produzione" Name="Gestione Commesse" ActivationOrder="1">
      <Fields>
        <Field Name="Cliente" SqlType="varchar(255)" SPType="Text" Required="true"></Field>
      </Fields>
    </List>
  </DataMapping>
</Configuration>