Can any of this be used without rights to install server-side code?

Jul 26, 2009 at 5:52 AM

Hi folks, I represent a bunch of SharePoint Designer "power users" (I wouldn't call us developers as we only get to monkey with presentation layer & the SPD configurations), wondering if there's any capabilities that SLAM exposes that we could use.  Our organization's IT folks have a very stringent process for implementing server-side code in the production MOSS farm, and while I'd love to convince them otherwise, they hold the cards.  So for the forseeable future, we can't install any server-side code.

If we're best to just "move along" and continue to play with Lookup fields and merge Data Sources, then that's what we'll do.  Not terribly robust, but it's what we've got for now.

Thanks for any assistance or encouragement you can provide.

Developer
Jul 26, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Well, as you’ve probably guessed, without installing SLAM on the server and configuring it, there really are no “capabilities that SLAM exposes” that you could use. 

I certainly appreciate your IT folks not wanting non-developers to install third party code, especially open-source code where getting support if something breaks can sometimes be difficult.  We work with a lot of large companies whose IT departments tightly manage their SharePoint farm.  The SLAM functionality we build is encapsulated into SharePoint solutions and features so that IT can test the deployment on their dev and stage environments before promoting any new code to production.  Because of that, and because of our support contract, we’ve been successful in getting IT departments to be comfortable with SLAM – especially after they see what SLAM allows the organization to do.

We're happy to help, of course.  :)  Contact slam@awsystems.com for more information about our consulting services.