Activate SLAM - Issues

Oct 9, 2009 at 1:03 PM

I've installed the SLAM software on a test server following the instructions on :http://slam.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Getting%20Started

But when i try to activate the site collection feature i get the following error message:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   at AWS.SLAM.SharePoint.SharePointServices.<>c__DisplayClass4.<AttachContentTypeEventHandler>b__3()
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.CodeToRunElevatedWrapper(Object state)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.<>c__DisplayClass4.<RunWithElevatedPrivileges>b__2()
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SecurityContext.RunAsProcess(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(WaitCallback secureCode, Object param)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)
   at AWS.SLAM.Activation.Activator.Activate()
   at AWS.SLAM.FeatureReceiver.FeatureActivated(SPFeatureReceiverProperties properties)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.DoActivationCallout(Boolean fActivate, Boolean fForce)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.Activate(SPSite siteParent, SPWeb webParent, SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, Boolean fForce)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.AddInternal(Guid featureId, SPFeaturePropertyCollection properties, Boolean force, Boolean fMarkOnly)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.Add(Guid featureId)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.FeatureActivator.BtnActivateFeature_Click(Object objSender, EventArgs evtargs)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Troubleshoot issues with Windows SharePoint Services.

I've searched the discussion forum for any similar issues but haven't found any matches. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Regards

Roger

Developer
Oct 9, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Roger,

It seems like you just installed SLAM and it's the latest version, but the stack trace tells me that SLAM's "Activate" method is being called on FeatureActivated.  However SLAM Activate hasn't been executed on feature activate since version 1.1 (and the initial release at that).  Even if you don't activate the feature, can you go to /_layouts/SLAM/SLAMControlPanel.aspx and see if it shows a version number on that page and if so what is it?

Thanks,

-Brian

Oct 12, 2009 at 8:36 AM

Brian,

From the link you posted i can find three choices, View Recent Messages, Validate Configuration and Reactivate SLAM.

From View recent messages i get:

System.InvalidOperationException: Sequence contains no elements at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source) at AWS.SLAM.Configuration.XmlConnectionStringSection.GetConnectionString(String name) at AWS.SLAM.Configuration.XmlConnectionStringSection.get_Default() at AWS.SLAM.Administration.SLAMControlPanel.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

From Validate Configuration i get:

System.InvalidOperationException: Sequence contains no elements at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source) at AWS.SLAM.Configuration.XmlConnectionStringSection.GetConnectionString(String name) at AWS.SLAM.Configuration.XmlConnectionStringSection.get_Default() at AWS.SLAM.Administration.SLAMControlPanel.<>c__DisplayClass3.b__0() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.CodeToRunElevatedWrapper(Object state) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.<>c__DisplayClass4.b__2() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SecurityContext.RunAsProcess(CodeToRunElevated secureCode) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(WaitCallback secureCode, Object param) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(CodeToRunElevated secureCode) at AWS.SLAM.Administration.SLAMControlPanel.OnValidate(Object sender, EventArgs e)

And from Reactivate SLAM i get:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   at AWS.SLAM.SharePoint.SharePointServices.<>c__DisplayClass10.<DetachContentTypeEventHandlers>b__f()
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.CodeToRunElevatedWrapper(Object state)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.<>c__DisplayClass4.<RunWithElevatedPrivileges>b__2()
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SecurityContext.RunAsProcess(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(WaitCallback secureCode, Object param)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)
   at AWS.SLAM.Activation.Activator.Deactivate()
   at AWS.SLAM.Administration.SLAMControlPanel.OnReactivate(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.ToolBarButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.ToolBarButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Troubleshoot issues with Windows SharePoint Services.

But i cannot see any version number for SLAM. The installation file is called SLAM_v1_1_Setup.zip.

I'm i using a out of date version?

Oct 13, 2009 at 10:23 AM
Edited Oct 13, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Brian,

The issue described above is now solved. I found the installation files for 1.1.7 and upgraded to this version.

Then i spent a little time configuring the SLAM.config file first to set up the connection string and secondly to setup the data mapping. For the datamapping i used the configuration Validation tool.

Now i get no error message from the validation tool:

Manage SLAM's configuration.

Matched Types
Syst - events
Syst - description

Matched Fields
Syst - events: Client
Syst - events: SerialNo
Syst - events: Status
Syst - description: Client
Syst - description: SerialNo

But when i try to run Syncronize the control panel just hangs and a dialog for VS2008 debugging tool opens. And the data is not being mapped to the database used.

Could you please advice regarding the cause for this issue?

Below is a copy of my SLAM.Config file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<Configuration>
  <ConnectionStrings Default="SLAM">
    <add Name="SLAM" ConnectionString="Database=SLAM;Data Source=FRIEND-VS2008\SQLEXPRESS;Integrated Security=SSPI" />
  </ConnectionStrings>

<DataMapping DataSchema="SLAM">
    <List Site="" Name="Syst - events" ActivationOrder="1">
      <Fields>
        <Field Name="Client" SqlType="VarChar(255)" SPType="Text" Required="false" ></Field>
 <Field Name="SerialNo" SqlType="VarChar(255)" SPType="Text" Required="false" ></Field>
 <Field Name="Status" SqlType="VarChar(255)" SPType="Text" Required="false" ></Field> 
 </Fields>
    </List>
    <List Site="" Name="Syst - description" ActivationOrder="1">
      <Fields>
        <Field Name="Client" SPType="Lookup" AssociatedList="Syst - event" AssociationName="ContentTypeToList"></Field>
 <Field Name="SerialNo" SPType="Lookup" AssociatedList="Syst - event" AssociationName="ContentTypeToList"></Field>
      </Fields>
    </List>
  </DataMapping>
</Configuration>

Developer
Oct 13, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Did slam create the database tables for you?  Does it save data when you save/edit individual records?

But most importantly, why aren't you using the latest version, 1.2?