Surveys

Oct 21, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Hi

I could really do with being able to import Survey data into SQL Server but I've come up against a problem.  I've been using SharePoint Explorer to determine the correct List and Field names to use in my slam.config.  Surveys don't show up here though.  There is a single List item called Surveys so my fear is that Surveys are in a different format and that I'm not going to be able to do this.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Dave

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:33 AM
Edited Oct 21, 2009 at 1:22 PM

An update to this.

It seems that my install of SUSHI no longer works properly.  It doesn't appear to be showing anything other than Link Lists (the Surveys list that I saw was actually a links list containing a list of all the survey available so was actually a bit of a red herring!).

I had a look at the DB and found that the survey is in there just as any other list is so I've set it up in slam.config as you usually would.  There is one thing I'd like to raise though.    One of the questions on the survey a "Rating Scale (a matrix of choices or a Likert scale)".  SharePoint stores this in the database as text.  I've got 4 items that are rating on.  SharePoint seems to store the results in an ntext field like this:
Trainer;#+4#Handout Materials;#+4#Facility / Room Comfort / Suitability;#+4#Course Overall;#+4#

Is there anything in SLAM to parse this?  I'm guessing not but I thought I'd ask.  I wrote a UDF to parse out the text from person fields so I could use that as a base for a function that parses out a value given an index (i.e. the 2nd or 3rd).

Dave

Developer
Oct 21, 2009 at 1:21 PM

Hi Dave,

The SharePoint Rating Scale is a custom field type that, as you discovered, stores its data as a semicolon/hash delineated string.  When you slam that field you get the delineated string by default.  If you wanted to do something else with that data, SLAM provides a hook to do that called a SLAM profile.  Unfortunately the documentation for creating SLAM profiles is still a bit lacking but take a look at the Hierarchy Profile we include in the project as an example.  By creating a "Slam Survey Profile", you would have full control over what happens with the data.  For example you could have SLAM create two other tables: one called Rating Choices (with all the unique choice values for that list) and one called Rating Votes (with columns for username, choice ID and vote).

Allan

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Hi Allan

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Dave