SLAM in SharePoint 2010

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:01 PM
Edited Nov 4, 2009 at 9:01 PM

My client is on MOSS 2007 and wants a new application. We're looking at whether to put the data into SharePoint lists or a SQL DB schema. Your SLAM associations and SQL synchronization so that reports can be run looks like it could give us what we need from a reports standpoint while remaining with Lists. However, I am anticipating the question - "Could this present any complications when moving to SharePoint 2010?".  I presume you have thought about this. Can you give me a response to use when the question gets asked?

Jan 4, 2010 at 5:08 AM

I too am curious.  When I get time (probably never at this rate) I plan to "just try it" :)  A more authoritative answer would of course be appreciated.

I haven't had time to look too much at SharePoint 2010 - if many of the underlying APIs are the same, or at least backwards compatible, I guess it should work.  SLAM isn't using anything undocumented to the best of my knowledge.

Jan 14, 2010 at 6:36 AM

Though I'm looking at Moss 2010 now.

I just tried to install the other codeplex's project(cascading drop down list) on moss 2010,-->it failed.

Moss 2010 have the "relationship" between moss list.

about Hierachy,still don't know how to do.. 

Developer
Jan 14, 2010 at 12:45 PM

> Moss 2010 have the "relationship" between moss list.

What has been added in SharePoint 2010 (it's no longer called MOSS) are two concepts that get us closer to modeling SQL-like relationships in SharePoint.

1. Relational Integrity.  When you create a look-up between two lists you can now specify whether to restrict deletes that would orphan children or to cascade the deletes.

2. Projected Fields.  When you do join two fields together, you can now promote fields (read only) from the parent list into the view of the child list.

The way that data is stored and accessed via the object model, however, hasn't changed.  So if you have the need to create a join between, say, clients to projects to tasks and you want to report task information on the client, you're still out of luck (without SLAM, that is).

We're in the process of working on the new version of SLAM which will support 2010.  We don't have a release date yet since we're all pretty busy on client-projects.

Regarding your question about Hierarchy, not sure I understand...

Jan 14, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Thanks for the summary about the relevant new features in SharePoint 2010.

The projected fields is a very welcome addition.  I suppose that it requires #1 to be implemented otherwise there might not have been anything to project.

I look forward to the new version of SLAM.  I actually downloaded the source the other day to have a poke around when I was having trouble getting SLAM to work with my configuration.  Turns out that I mucked up the XML file by not capitalising the Name attribute properly :)  One day I'll get the source up and running properly...

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer our question about 2010 :)

Nov 2, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Can you let us know, when we have the installable of SLAM for SharePoint 2010?

Developer
Nov 2, 2010 at 1:40 PM

SLAM works now with SP2010.   Just use stsadm.   For example, use: "%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\14\BIN\stsadm.exe" -o addsolution -filename "slam.wsp" (where ever slam is extracted)

Nov 8, 2010 at 4:10 AM
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Is the SLAM source code available for MOSS 2010?

Can you provide me link for that?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

--
Mehul Patelia
---------------------------
Mob: 9904100959

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 7:10 PM, awellenstein <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

SLAM works now with SP2010. Just use stsadm. For example, use: "%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\14\BIN\stsadm.exe" -o addsolution -filename "slam.wsp" (where ever slam is extracted)

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (SLAM@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email SLAM@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Developer
Nov 8, 2010 at 12:05 PM

It's the same source code - it's just compiled against the v14 dll.

Allan