Control Panel Error

Feb 8, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Hi all,

I'll preface with "I am not a devloper, just a MOSS admin trying to install this web part." So please understand my lack of code knowledge.

I've followed the directions and have the following simple slam.config:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<Configuration>
  <ConnectionStrings Default="SLAM">
    <add Name="SLAM" ConnectionString="Database=slam;Data Source=<server>;User Id=<acct>;Password=<pwd>" />
  </ConnectionStrings>

<DataMapping DataSchema="SLAM">
    <List Site="subsite" Name="List" ActivationOrder="1">
      <Fields>
        <Field Name="Title" SqlType="varchar(255)" SPType="Text" Required="true"></Field>
        <Field Name="OtherListLookup" SPType="Lookup" AssociatedList="OtherList" AssociationName="ListToOtherList"></Field>
      </Fields>
    </List>
    <ContentType Name="ContentType" ActivationOrder="2">
      <Fields>
        <Field Name="Title" SqlType="varchar(255)" SPType="Text" Required="true"></Field>
        <Field Name="ListLookup" SPType="Lookup" AssociatedList="List" AssociationName="ContentTypeToList"></Field>
      </Fields>
    </ContentType>
  </DataMapping>
</Configuration>

I was able to activate the feature, but when I go to the Control Panel, I get the following error:

SLAM has encountered the following error:

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'AWS.SLAM.ComponentService' threw an exception. ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Xml.XmlException: '"' is an unexpected token. The expected token is ';'. Line 4, position 114. at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowUnexpectedToken(String expectedToken1, String expectedToken2) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowUnexpectedToken(Int32 pos, String expectedToken1, String expectedToken2) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.HandleEntityReference(Boolean isInAttributeValue, EntityExpandType expandType, Int32& charRefEndPos) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributeValueSlow(Int32 curPos, Char quoteChar, NodeData attr) at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributes() at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElement() at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent() at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read() at System.Xml.Linq.XContainer.ReadContentFrom(XmlReader r) at System.Xml.Linq.XContainer.ReadContentFrom(XmlReader r, LoadOptions o) at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(XmlReader reader, LoadOptions options) at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(String uri, LoadOptions options) at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(String uri) at AWS.SLAM.Configuration.XmlConfigurationManager..ctor() at AWS.SLAM.StructureMap.SLAMRegistry.configure() at StructureMap.Configuration.DSL.Registry..ctor() at AWS.SLAM.StructureMap.ComponentFactory.Initialize() at AWS.SLAM.StructureMap.ComponentFactory..ctor() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandle& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck) at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean fillCache) at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean fillCache) at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic) at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type) at AWS.SLAM.ComponentService..cctor() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at AWS.SLAM.ComponentService.ClearInstances() at AWS.SLAM.Administration.SLAMControlPanel.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

It doesn't appear that any tables have been created in the database. Are there error logs saved anywhere? Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Mindy

Developer
Feb 9, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Something is malformed in the config XML, and the error claims it is on line 4, which is the connection string.  Because you have replaced the specifics of the connection string with tokens I cannot see a reason for the issue.  My guess is it has to do with the actual values. 

-Brian

Feb 9, 2010 at 3:53 PM

The installation instructions didn't specify that the account has to be a SQL login and not a Windows account. That seems to have been the problem that I ran into. Also, I don't think that the XML file liked the complex password that I was using.

Thanks for pointing me to the issue though!

Mindy